Salary £ 35,000-37,500
South Crofty Mine, Pool, TR15 3QT
The main dewatering pumps at South Crofty are due to be operational summer 2023. The focus will then be on accessing the deep underground workings using the historic New Cooks Kitchen Shaft at the mine, facilitating the complete dewatering of the mine.
A water treatment plant is currently under construction to treat the mine water prior to discharge, along with considerable upgrades to the HV network on-site.
Approximately 2km of mine workings are currently actively operated and accessed from the Tuckingmill Decline. These workings are being utilised for our ongoing feasibility study works, including ongoing diamond drilling programmes. Maintaining and operating these workings requires ongoing electrical support, which will increase considerably as we dewater more of the mine workings.
Significant new infrastructure is being installed to enable access to the deep workings of the mine, including a new 11kv network and new single drum winding engine, due to arrive in the summer of 2023.
These upgrades and developments require a competent and motivated electrical team to install, manage, maintain, and repair our systems on-site in a safe and efficient manner. The successful candidate would be a key member of this team. The work has the potential to be extremely varied, ranging from heavy industrial to control and instrumentation, all whilst working in a challenging, albeit enjoyable environment.
The role accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- carry out electrical installation works on the mine LV network
- work and maintain the mine HV & LV networks
- promote a positive safety culture and follow best practise
- conduct and maintain records of statutory maintenance schemes.
The role will directly report to the Electrical Foreman, with overall reporting responsibility to the Mine Manager. The role will also work closely with the Mine Shift boss, site contractors and technical services team.
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities of this role in a safe and efficient manner, in compliance with the Mines Regulations 2014, Company Policy and the Manager’s Rules. The key skills and experience expected for this role include:
- trained and competent with the Electricity at Work regulations, recognised electrical apprenticeship, any additional training or qualification could be beneficial
- experience of LV and HV systems, with associated permits to work would be advantageous
- ability to follow an on-call rota and have some flexibility to work out of hours if required
- undertaking training on equipment as required to keep skills up to date
- ability to work in challenging underground conditions, ranging from working at heights to working in confined spaces.
- being a team player, willing and able to mentor junior staff and get involved with a wide variety of work tasks as and when required
- an understanding of PLC/HMI/SCADA control systems, along with some exposure to MCC control panels and instrumentation.
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations and Use of Electricity in Mines
- any form of mining or quarrying background
- mechanical ability and exposure
- willingness to assume additional responsibilities, such as joining the Mine Rescue Team.
If this role appeals to you and you would like to join the team here at South Crofty please apply here attaching your CV in the documents screen.
- On site parking
- Enhanced holiday