Salary £ 22,000 - £25,000
South Crofty Mine, Pool, TR15 3QT
Application deadline 31/03/2023
We are looking for a Geological Technician to join the Geology team. The Geological Technician is required to support drilling activities at the South Crofty Project in Pool, Cornwall (UK). The role is intended to support the day-to-day activities of geologists by ensuring drilling and sampling procedures are carried out in a timely and methodical manner. Some weekend work will be required. The role is likely to adapt and change as the project progresses.
The successful candidate will have a keen interest in earth sciences, enjoy working in an outdoor working environment, have a methodical approach, and be competent with maths and literacy. Functions intrinsic to the role include manual handling up to 25kg and other demanding activities such as off-road driving, lifting core boxes, pushing core sample trolly through a core saw, walking up and down steep, and at times uneven, ground, constructing core trays and moving loaded stillages by pushing/pulling with hand operated lifting equipment. Cornish Metals is an equal opportunities employer and reasonable adjustments will be considered.
Specific duties as part of the role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- maintaining the core shed and associated supplementary equipment
- safe collection and vehicle transport of drill core from drill sites
- drill core processing
- core cutting, sampling, and preparing samples for dispatch
- measuring and recording density of drill core samples
- managing the storage of drill core and samples
- assist the wider geology team in the day to day running of drilling and sampling programmes
The role will report to the Exploration Manager, but there will be frequent interaction with the wider Technical Services team.
External relationships will include consulting with the public at open events, landowners, drilling contractors and other project contractors.
Skills and experience
The key skills and experience which are expected for this role are:
- a diligent and methodical approach required for logistical management and supervision of core shed ancillary activities and equipment
- an aptitude for mental arithmetic required for the tasks relating to core processing
- willingness to undertake manual tasks and work outdoors in all weathers for example, manual handling core trays during core collection trips
- excellent communication skills
- a professional and enthusiastic team player with a “can do” attitude
- a proactive approach and show high levels of initiative.
- have a full clean U.K. driving licence
- a basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel is desirable
Any demonstratable experience of holding a similar role would be advantageous. All applications regardless of experience will be considered as full job-based training can be provided if necessary.
If this role appeals to you and you would like to join the team here at South Crofty please apply here and make sure to attach your CV in the documents screen.