Cornish Metals is a Canadian mineral exploration and development company focused on its mineral projects in Cornwall, United Kingdom.
The Company’s flagship projects are the past producing South Crofty underground tin mine and the United Downs exploration project. The Company’s interests in its Cornish mineral properties are held through South Crofty Limited whose office is located at the South Crofty former mine site in Pool, near Redruth. Cornish Metals listed on AIM in February 2021 raising over £8m which was used to conduct a drill programme at the United Downs exploration project.
In May 2022, a further £40m was raised to advance the South Crofty mine to a potential construction decision within 30 months. Cornish Metals is well financed and has a supportive major shareholder, Vision Blue Resources, which cornerstoned the May 2022 fundraise.
With the fundraise completed at the end of May 2022 and the focus of the company being on the re opening of the South Crofty mine, procurement activity is expected to increase substantially. It is the Company’s intention to develop in-house capability on all aspects of the procurement function.
The role is expected to oversee all aspects of procurement on an end-to-end basis, from sourcing suppliers, supervising the tendering and award of purchase orders and managing the administration of purchase orders. There will also be a requirement to develop supply chain procedures in the Company that meet the needs of a fast-moving project focused environment. There will also be some smaller, routine operating-type expenditure that falls within the remit of the role.
The role will be located at the South Crofty mine in Pool, near Redruth, and may involve a limited amount of travel to interface with suppliers across the UK. The successful candidate will need to feel comfortable working at a mine site location and communicate effectively with suppliers, technical and finance staff.
The role is responsible for all aspects of procurement/supply chain at the mine site. In broad terms, the role encompasses the following areas:
- Develop an overall project procurement strategy in consultation with Project Manager, Chief Geologist, Mine Manager and other members of management;
- Undertake market investigations and source cost estimates based on technical specifications and delivery timescales agreed with technical specialists;
- Lead supplier engagement during the tendering and award of purchase orders to obtain competitive prices and delivery to the mine site in accordance with the project timetable;
- Manage the administration of purchase orders, including the approval of contract documents and goods received notes, and processing change orders and claims;
- Develop and maintain efficient procurement procedures across the Company (scope, bid, evaluate, award, execute, administer and close);
- Maintain inventory levels for routine consumables and other items utilised at the mine site where it is cost effective to do so; and
- Liaise with project cost control for cost reporting and budgetary control for each of the project workstreams.
As the Company’s activity levels expand and procurement activities increase, further responsibilities may evolve over time.
The role will report to the Finance Manager, but there will be frequent interaction with the Project Manager, Chief Geologist and Mine Manager, the principal functional leads at the mine site, for whom procurement services will be undertaken.
External relationships will include extensive communication with existing and potential suppliers.
The successful candidate must:
- Demonstrate strong procurement generalist knowledge across the supply chain from supplier engagement through to delivery at site;
- Demonstrate confidence to lead negotiations with suppliers to obtain sound commercial terms for the Company representing good value for money;
- Be familiar with all aspects of purchase order management, including the negotiation of purchase orders and their subsequent administration;
- Have an ability to comfortably operate in a largely stand-alone capacity involved in the detail of procurement/supply chain while also working across different areas of the business (project management, mining, exploration and finance);
- Demonstrate a sound commercial judgment and an understanding of the impact of procurement decisions on the Company;
- Display a naturally engaging and outgoing people style with the ability to influence people;
- Be a professional, confident and enthusiastic team player with a “can-do” attitude;
- Demonstrate a proactive approach and show high levels of initiative; and
- Display a robust and resilient disposition, able to remain calm under pressure during negotiations.
- The successful candidate will have all-round general procurement/supply chain experience and an understanding of procurement procedures gained through working in procurement/supply chain.
Previous experience of working in a company in the extractive, construction or industrial sectors would be an advantage, but not essential.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £28,000.00-£35,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
Please submit cover letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org.